Terrafugia is a fast-paced, energetic company that is developing the world’s first practical flying car. We are currently looking for a world-class Embedded Systems Engineer to join our vehicle development team. Candidates should be self-starters who bring positive attitude, integrity, and enthusiasm to our team as we transform personal transportation.
Key Responsibilities and Activities:
- Aid in the development of the Vehicle Control Unit (VCU) and/or Electronic Control Unit (ECU)
- Create/refine finite state machines, and implement controllers for vehicle systems in software
- Aid in the development of a system for distributed control of an engine, electric motors, and actuators over a CAN network
- Support the design of a wing fold interface system working with existing electromechanical actuators/sensors
- Support definition of the data interface specification (e.g. CAN, RS-485, etc.)
- Integrate microcontroller software for CAN bus based actuation and sensing per DO-178 (potentially implemented via Simulink and Stateflow)
- Address custom CAN messaging and VCU communications with hand coding as required
- Participate as a key player in the design-build-test process for the Transition®, including conceptual, preliminary and detailed design, requirements definition, design reviews, prototyping, and testing.
- Coordinate and communicate effectively with other engineers, technical personnel, and management
- Support and participate in testing activities – component, drive, and/or flight – as needed, including test plan creation, data analysis, and test report generation and documentation.
- Support the Certification Director with compliance and certification activities and best practices, including design, test, and analysis documentation, internal and external audits, and other activities as needed.
Required Skills and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer, Electrical, Mechanical, or Aerospace Engineering and 5+ years technical work experience, OR
- A master’s degree in Computer, Electrical, Mechanical, or Aerospace Engineering and 3+ years technical work experience
- Proven experience with robust software development cycles: taking software from concept through detailed development, executing code on targets, and testing to internal/external requirements
- Proven experience developing software for automobiles, particularly for vehicle control
- Experience with CAN messaging protocol
- Outstanding organization, analytical, and problem solving skills
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation communication skills
- Software Experience: C/C++,
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience with software design, documentation and testing per DO-178B/C
- Functional safety experience with ISO-26262 or IEC 61508
- Formal training or practical experience with software revision control techniques and tools
- Experience with ASTM F2245 or FMVSS
- Experience with LabVIEW, or other real time data acquisition software
- Experience programming CPLDs or other logic devices
- Familiarity with modern electrical design layout tools such as Altium or Cadence products
- Knowledge or expertise in CAN Aerospace, CANopen, SAE J1939, ARINC-429 ARINC-825protocols
- Familiarity with Python or Perl
- Familiarity with Fortran
Terrafugia provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, ancestry, religion or veteran status, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state or local law.