Founded in 2006 to revolutionize personal transportation, Terrafugia has become the global leader of the emerging flying car industry with offices in the United States and China. In support of developing future hybrid and electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (eVTOL) vehicles, Terrafugia is opening a San Francisco Bay Area R&D Center in the scenic north-bay near wine country.
The new R&D office is Terrafugia’s west coast base for disruptive technology innovation. It’s a place where new ideas flourish and audacious goals are set. Here is where you’ll be creating new connections between aerospace, automotive, and digital technology in the birthplace of the computer revolution. We’re seeking a core team of experienced aerospace and technology entrepreneurs who want to discover, innovate, and create. Our charter is to explore new ideas and bring the strongest ideas to reality in a manner that is insightful to future market, certification, and production needs. The team will bring full-scale prototypes to life, on schedule, and find opportunities in the white space of the future.
We are currently looking for a world-class Product Manager to join the new Terrafugia R&D office. Candidates should be self-starters who bring positive attitude, integrity, and enthusiasm to our team as we transform air transportation. You should be comfortable in a fast-paced, energetic company where we foster an environment of constant learning and one that values diversity of thought, humility, and open collaboration.
As a Key Contributor You Will be the product champion who maintains a holistic view of current projects and ensures the product team is building relevant and successful products. The Product Manager is responsible for understanding the competitive landscape, changes and trends in technology and the marketplace, and representing the voice of the customer to the rest of the product team.
You will initially be focused on compiling requirements for a VTOL aircraft that will enable rapid, reliable transportation between suburbs and cities and within cities. Additional responsibilities will include taking ownership of new products and ideas as they are nurtured and mature. You will build products from existing ideas, and help to develop new ideas based on your industry experience and your contact with customers and prospects. You must possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy; a big-picture vision, and the drive to make that vision a reality. You must be able to communicate with all areas of the company.
Key Responsibilities and Activities
- Understanding the market and customer needs
- Act as a product leader within the company. You are the go-to person who can answer any non-engineering question about the product
- Bridges all departments related to the product and brings a holistic view to the product team
- Distill vision and strategy for the team, get all members of cross-functional team sharing the same goals
- Develop requirements documents with prioritized features and corresponding justification
- Work with the Boston office to ensure both teams are in sync
- Be an expert with respect to the competition
- Contribute to the product strategy and roadmap
- Analyzing potential partner relationships
- True passion for Terrafugia’s mission and the company’s technology
- A never-ending desire to grow and learn
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a Product Manager
- Bachelor of Science Degree in technical field; MBA desirable
- Demonstrated success defining and launching excellent products
- Technically-oriented background
- A high bar across the board – from your own contributions to the people you work with to the products you work on
- A bias toward action, a great collaborator and master simplifier – constantly pushing toward clarity and delivery, as we have real deliverables and timetables to meet
- Proven ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority
- A hunger to learn and ability to flourish in a dynamic, high-growth, entrepreneurial environment
- Must be self-starter with hands-on approach, capable of multi-tasking, and able to organize/set work priorities for themselves and others while operating in a free-form, start-up environment
- Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to communicate and interact with all types of people and cultures in a wide variety of settings
- Must have proficiency with Google Apps, Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Out-of-town domestic and international travel is required
- Outstanding organization, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation communication skills
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience with hardware products and processes
- Pilot’s license
- Familiarity with FAA certification requirements
- Familiarity with FMVSS requirements
- Familiarity with existing and emerging industry standards and compliance means
- Some customer-facing or business development background
Terrafugia provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, ancestry, religion or veteran status, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state or local law.