Terrafugia is a fast-paced, energetic company that is developing the world’s first practical flying car. We are currently looking for a world-class Senior Electrical Engineer to join our vehicle development team. Candidates should be self-starters who bring positive attitude, integrity, and enthusiasm to our team as we transform personal transportation.
As a Key Contributor You Will lead the development of key components of the hybrid electric drive system used in The Transition® roadable aircraft.
Key Responsibilities and Activities
- Design CANbus connected sensor systems for use in aircraft and automobiles
- Design CANbus connected actuators for use in aircraft and automobiles
- Design and/or specify hybrid electrical power distribution subsystems including contactors and wiring harnesses
- Design of the hybrid electric system with appropriate EMC characteristics for aircraft and automotive environments
- Aid in the characterization, modeling, testing and integration of a hybrid electric system, e.g. motors, controllers, batteries, DC-DC converters
- Verification testing and/or validation testing of electrical systems and components designed in house or externally supplied
- Participate in FMEAs and other risk reduction activities
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering with 7+ years’ experience
- Working knowledge of electric motors, particularly permanent magnet AC motors
- Knowledge of techniques used to maintain stability of an electrical power distribution system
- Familiarity with MATLAB and Simulink for model based design and simulation of electrical and electro-mechanical systems
- Familiarity with classical control theory and finite state machines
- Experience interfacing sensors with microcontrollers
- Familiarity with schematic capture and PCB layout using modern EDA tools
- Ability to use Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Outstanding organization, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation communication skills
Desired Skills and Experience
- Familiarity with source control tools, e.g. SVN, Git
- S.E.E. with a focus on power electronics.
- Familiar with EMI and EMC challenges with power conversion equipment
- Familiarity with any of the following MathWorks software: StateFlow, Simulink Coder, Embedded coder, DO Qualification Kit, IEC Certification Kit
- Experience using CAN bus, especially CANopen or CANaerospace
- Experience with functional safety e.g. ISO 26262, IEC 61508 or DO-178/254
- Familiarity with batteries and battery management systems
- Electrical prototyping skills: wire harness construction, breadboarding of circuits.
- Proficiency in the following programming languages: C/C++/Fortran
Terrafugia provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, ancestry, religion or veteran status, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state or local law.