Terrafugia is a fast-paced, energetic company that is developing the world’s first practical flying car. We are currently looking for a world-class Shop Supervisor to join our vehicle development team. Candidates should be self-starters who bring positive attitude, integrity, and enthusiasm to our team as we transform personal transportation.
As a Key Contributor You Will direct the activities of a Shop of Composite, Mechanical, and Electrical Technicians and their Team Leads as they fabricate molds, fabricate composite parts and assembly jigs and fixtures, and assemble those parts into prototype vehicles in an efficient and repeatable fashion.
Key Responsibilities and Activities
Work Direction and Scheduling
- Provide Shop staff with daily priorities
- Set weekly schedules in conjunction with the Program and/or Engineering team
- Collaborate with Shop Team Leads to provide technical instruction, using the best available tools and techniques, to ensure good craftsmanship
- Ensure that processes are understood, followed, and updated by the team
- Direct the assembly of composite prototype vehicles using jigs and fixtures
Maintain the Shop Environment
- Ensure that personal protective equipment is available
- Ensure that required tools and machinery are maintained in good working condition
- Maintain organized and clean work areas
- Maintain consumables at agreed-upon inventory levels
- Work with the facility manager to maintain adequate and efficient inventory and storage space
Occupational Safety and Health
- Maintain safe work practices in accordance with statutory, regulatory and company directives
- Ensure proper training for personnel who will use equipment and machinery
- Take all practicable steps to ensure hazards identified in work areas are eliminated, isolated or minimized
- Ensure that unsafe acts and unsafe conditions within work areas are appropriately reported
- Encourage good health and safety performance by employees, suppliers and customers
- Use and enforce the use of the appropriate protective clothing and equipment
- Follow established procedures to ensure safe performance of a given task
- Report all occupational injury, illness, near-miss incidents and incidents
- Work with Terrafugia’s recruiting staff to significantly increase the size of our existing Shop team
- Source and procure materials as needed for prototyping.
- Implement and/or maintain an inventory system of all parts, including receiving and organizing metallic and other non-composite parts.
- Add fabrication, assembly and quality improvements to the company wish list and/or open items log.
Required Skills and Experience
- Experience leading a team in a prototyping or manufacturing environment
- Fluency with office computer software, including spreadsheets and word-processing programs
- Sound knowledge of manufacturing principles, tooling and craftsmanship
- Ability to anticipate potential problems and either prevent them from occurring or limit their effects
- Ability to maintain positive communication links between Shop and Engineering personnel
- Ability to quickly gain an understanding of the company’s product
- High level of initiative and self-motivation
- Ability to easily relate to people, including sensitivity to cultural differences
- Outstanding organization, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation communication skills
Desired Skills and Experience
- Basic ability with SolidWorks
- Experience with composite manufacturing
- Experience in a low-volume and/or rapidly changing manufacturing environment
- Hands-on experience with tools (hand and power), machinery, and measurement instruments in a woodworking or metal shop
Terrafugia provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, ancestry, religion or veteran status, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state or local law.