The TF-X™ is the practical realization of the dream of countless visions of the future; it is designed to be the flying car for all of us. In order to achieve this long-sought-after vision, Terrafugia will focus the TF-X™ program with clear goals that enhance the safety, simplicity, and convenience of personal transportation. We believe these goals are achievable today.
TF-XTM Quick Facts:
- Timeline: The TF-X™ is still in the early stages of development, with a production date estimated at 8-12 years in the future.
- Pricing: The price will be consistent with high-end luxury cars. More specific pricing information will become available as we progress in the development of the TF-X™ program.
- Range: the TF-X™ will have a range of 500 miles with cruise speeds up to 200mph.
- Operating the TF-X™ should be statistically safer than driving a modern automobile.
- The TF-X™ will be capable of automatically avoiding other air traffic, bad weather, and restricted and tower-controlled airspace.
- The TF-X™ will have a backup full-vehicle parachute system which can be activated by the operator in an emergency if the operator believes the TF-X™ to be incapable of auto-landing.
- If a TF-X™ operator declares an emergency (which will automatically notify authorities of the situation), the TF-X™ can be landed in non-approved landing zones.
- If the operator becomes unresponsive, the TF-X™ would automatically implement an emergency auto-land at the nearest airport.
- Learning how to safely operate the TF-X™ will take substantially less time than would be required for a traditional aircraft.
- The TF-X™ will give the operator significant freedom in flight – controlled in a manner similar to steering a car.
- The TF-X™ will be able to fly in either "manual" or "automatic" modes between approved landing zones or airports.
- The TF-X™ will carry four people in car-like comfort.
- The TF-X™ will have a non-stop flight range of at least 500 miles.
- The TF-X™ will fit into a standard construction single car garage.
- The TF-X™ will be able to take off vertically from a level clearing of at least 100ft in diameter.
- The TF-X™ will be able to drive on roads and highways – providing true door-to-door convenience and an automotive level of weather insensitivity.
In order to facilitate the achievement of this new dimension of personal freedom, the TF-X™ will be priced as low as possible while still allowing Terrafugia to grow to support our customers. The final pricing will not be set until we are much closer to delivery. The biggest price driver is the cost of production. It is likely that TF-X™ will be more expensive than a “normal car” due to the higher costs of the necessary light-weight materials, but with investment in automotive scale production, early studies indicate that it is possible that the final price point could be on-par with high-end luxury cars of today. As demand increases, new materials and manufacturing processes will surely be developed and the price may come down further in the distant future.
Vision of TF-X™ Technical Operations:
- The TF-X™ is a fixed wing street-legal aircraft with electric ground drive and electric power assist on takeoff and landing.
- The TF-X™ will be able to recharge its batteries either from its engine or by plugging in to electric car charging stations.
- The TF-X™ will be capable of “auto-landing” at approved landing sites within approved weather limits.
- Prior to departure, the operator will select a primary target landing zone and backup landing zones. If the TF-X™ calculates insufficient energy on board to conduct last minute aborts at the first two sites and safely navigate to and land at the third within a 30 minute reserve, or if the forecast weather in any of the three landing zones would be outside the allowable limits, or if any of the selected landing zones are in temporarily restricted airspace (TFRs), departure will not be allowed until appropriate landing zones are selected.
- If manual operation (sightseeing) or changing weather causes the second backup landing zone to fall outside the range of the limits, the operator will be notified and prompted to select new landing zones within the new restrictions.
- The TF-X™ operator will have final say over whether an approved landing zone is actually a safe place in which to land, and they may abort the landing attempt at any time.
- Aborting the third landing at the end of an extended flight would result in the automatic declaration of an emergency and a horizontal (airplane-like) landing at the nearest airport.
- Normal TF-X™ operations will be conducted only in non-tower controlled airspace (Class E and G) and on the ground. Operators who wish to operate in tower controlled airspace (Class B, C, or D) will be able to get additional training.
- Licensed TF-X™ operators will be allowed to apply to add new landing zones to an approved landing zone database.
- The TF-X™ will advise the operator if they are approaching restricted or tower-controlled airspace, or unnecessarily increasing the risk to human life (as could happen through carelessness, bad intentions, or if the operator becomes incapacitated). If the operator does not take the appropriate corrective action, the TF-X™ vehicle will automatically notify authorities by “declaring an emergency” on behalf of the operator.
Development of the TF-X™ is expected to last 8-12 years. If you wish to be one of the first to own a TF-X™ vehicle, consider reserving a Transition® today. The Transition® will be delivered long before the TF-X™ is ready, and as loyal Terrafugia customers, Transition® buyers will be given the option to purchase TF-X™ vehicles before the rest of the public. The knowledge and experience you gain as a Transition® owner will help prepare you for the TF-X™, and your feedback on our first product will help us craft the second.
Become a part of the Terrafugia transportation revolution today!